The Cabin Creek Health Systems offers an excellent learning environment for students from a variety of health profession disciplines. CCHS has experienced medical staff members who are committed to community service and who have gained competence in clinical teaching.
For many years the CCHS has had a collaborative relationship with many of the health professional training programs throughout WV and the country. The organization offers rotations for medical, pharmacy, dental, physician assistant, nurse practitioner, psychology, and social work students. To schedule a rotation at one of the Cabin Creek Health Systems sites please contact John Rice, Learning Health Center Clinical Coordinator.
Learning objectives for students on their community health rotation include the following:
- Describe the community health center and how it fits into the medical home system.
- Appreciate the role of the care team and understand each team member’s role when dealing with certain patient populations.
- Determine the accuracy of a patient’s medical record and correct errors.
- Understand and use the principles of motivational interviewing when working with patients who need to make behavioral changes.
- Recognize the process and principles of integrated behavioral health care.
- Appreciate the use of health screenings in primary care.
- Utilize CCHS pathways when appropriate when seeing patients.